Contact: superninjamommy [at] gmail [dot] com

Thursday, October 30, 2008

Screw You, Ovaries.

According to Kellymom.com,the majority of women who breastfeed full time with no supplements or pacifiers can expect their menstrual period to be delayed for anywhere from 6 to 24 months after giving birth.
Only 7% will resume their menstrual cycle - and thus, one would assume, their fertility - before their child turns 6 months old.

Woo-freaken-hoo. I'm in the statistical minority. Thanks a lot, ovaries. You totally suck. The Babe is eight weeks old, ya heard? [said in rap-star voice.]

I guess I should have expected this, considering my babies are one year, one month, one week, and one day apart. Except last time, even though I was exclusively breastfeeding, I got pregnant without any indication of Good Ol' Aunt Flo. I found out I was pregnant the day before my friend's daughter's funeral, which would be sometime in early November 2007. The Beast (who had not yet earned her nickname) was just under four months old.
That baby didn't make it, and joined a long line of older unborn siblings in Heaven. I saw the baby when it came out, and it was beautiful and surreal. It looked just like te photos of eight week fetuses (or are they still embryos at 8 weeks?) except it was a lot more transparent than I thought it would be. I buried it in a sandalwood box under the arbor vitae.

So considering all of that, I should have known I would get pregnant again. But I didn't think I would. It took 23 months of active trying to get Beastie. So I really thought that our little transparent baby was a fluke.

Obviously I was wrong. The Babe was conceived December 15th 2007, after far too much to drink. I learned he was coming on January 6th, 2008, and lost my milk supply within a few weeks. By Februray, Beastie was exclusively formula fed, which made me really sad, but most of the time I was just to nauseous to care.

Okay. That whole three paragraph diatribe just brings me back to here. October 30th, 2008. Two years since Beastie was conceived, two years and two weeks since I last had a period. And now we have to deal with that whole birth control thing - I mean, really deal with it, for real, not just saying we are, but actually using it. For the first time in our whole marriage.

Screw you, ovaries. You totally suck.

No comments: