Contact: superninjamommy [at] gmail [dot] com

Monday, December 1, 2008

Here's what I'm seeing...


This is the view out my kitchen window. I spend a lot of time in the kitchen - cooking, cleaning, you know. And because of that, I spend a lot of time looking out the window, daydreaming. I often see deer, rabbits, foxes, and sometimes coyotes out there. In the fall, there are hundreds of yellow goldfinches that roost back there. Our yard is hardly ever mowed, so lots of grasses go to seed and the birds really like that.
I am not a "hippie" by any means. But I do like nature, and I like knowing about all the plants and animals that live around me. Also, this is good information to know, should one decided to walk to the Canadian Rockies and maybe build a log cabin at some point.
We only have a couple acres here, and you're only seeing the tiniest bit of it. This is the very back of our property. Our house sits at the very back of our property. I am going to build my little miniature log cabin to the southeast of those pine trees. (You're looking north-northeast in this picture.)
You can't see it, but there's a fence just beyond those clothes poles. It's to keep the kids out of the pond, but it doesn't work. Turns out, kids know how to go over a fence. One time my morbidly obese chihuahua ran away and went and took a swim in that pond.
And just today, EJ and Four were out there playing, and Four decided to take her boots off. She played out there in foot deep snow for forty-five minutes in her stocking feet. I don't get kids sometimes.
Well, there ya go. Your daily dose of Michigan winter.

1 comment:

Tara said...

Beautiful. You know, Husband is from rural Michigan too -- about an hour from the UP. Snow rules.