Contact: superninjamommy [at] gmail [dot] com

Monday, November 30, 2009

Challenges and Milestones.

The past week have been full of challenges and milestones. (And by "full of," I mean just a couple.)

Monkey has a terrible diaper rash. Every time he wears a disposable diaper, his bottom breaks out in the exact shape of the diaper. This isn't surprising to me, because I am allergic to feminine hygiene products. Looking back, EJ had this exact same diaper rash for the entire time she was in diapers, right up until potty training, but all I knew to do was treat it with gobs of creams and ointments from the doctor.

This time, I tried creams for a day or two before deciding to put him in cloth diapers. I don't mind cloth diapering - in fact, I rather enjoy it - but he outgrew his diaper covers and the bigger ones I had leaked terribly. His rash went away by the second diaper change in cloth, but in the middle of the night, when I couldn't find a clean cover, I put him in a disposable and the rash came back again.

Today I found one size diaper covers for only $4.95, which is dirt cheap. I bought 4, and they will be Monkey's Christmas present. I hope they get here soon - his little bottom can't take the disposables, and my laundry room can't take the covers I have!

We had three milestones this past week. First of all, Monkey smiled at me! It was the sweetest thing I have ever seen, but, alas, he hasn't decided to do it again. I keep trying to make him smile and he looks at me all worried. You can tell he's thinking, "Please don't tell me I'm related to this crazy lady...."

The second milestone belongs to Beastie. She hit 35 pounds, so her car seat is now forward facing. This is greatly disheartening to me, because we all know how exponentially safer it is for a child (or even adult for that matter) to ride rear facing. However, it's more dangerous to have her ride rear facing over the weight limit, than it is to put her forward facing under the weight limit. We haven't gone for a ride in her newly installed seat yet... I wonder how she'll like it?

The third and last milestone are The Babe's. He learned two words this week - Diaper and Thank you. He says "Buppa" for diaper and "day-oo" for thank you. It's so precious to hear him start to communicate!

I'm sorry I don't have any funny stories or anything for you lately. We've had plenty of them, I just haven't had a moment to write them down. Soon, I hope!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't you just adore the very first words? I'm *almost* jealous- you get first words AND a first smile in the same week? Amazing. The Babe is going to be a charmer, only a year old and already saying "thank you" - My Bean doesn't say that at 18 months, he's more likely to say "worl" (squirrel) or "coo twix" (Cool Tricks!).

Anonymous said...

Don't you just adore the very first words? I'm *almost* jealous- you get first words AND a first smile in the same week? Amazing. The Babe is going to be a charmer, only a year old and already saying "thank you" - My Bean doesn't say that at 18 months, he's more likely to say "worl" (squirrel) or "coo twix" (Cool Tricks!).