Contact: superninjamommy [at] gmail [dot] com

Friday, July 2, 2010

Superglue can fix everything, even large gaping wounds.

Yesterday, The Babe (who needs a new nickname, now that he's almost two) decided it would be grand idea to do some sort of gymnastic stunt under our oval glass coffee table.

The problem with this idea is, foreheads and glass coffee tables just don't go too well together.

He hit his browbone on the coffee table, right on his eyebrow, splitting it wide open. It was about the size of a nickel, almost perfectly round, and bleeding like a mofo. I held him in my arms and the blood poured into his ear and got stuck all in his hair.

He only cried for about five minutes, maybe less, and I got his cut cleaned up. Once it was clean I could see it was only about 3/4 inch long, but it kept opening up really wide and looking all freaky.

So, off to Urgent Care we went. The bleeding had mostly stopped when we got in the van, so I was worried that I was doing it for nothing. But when we got there twenty minutes later, I could see that he had been messing with it and it had started bleeding again. He looked horrible. It was all caked around his eye and in his eyelashes so he could hardly open his eye, and it was running down his face. It was gross.

They got him right in and had to strap him to a papoose board to keep him still, which he HATED. They got it all cleaned so the doctor could see what we were dealing with. She was surprised by how deep it was, and decided that glue would do the trick, but it was bad enough that she called another doctor in to consult. The consensus? No stitches. Just superglue.

So they held his wound together like lips and glued him all up with some purple superglue stuff, and now he's right as rain.

Funny, we have had this coffee table for years and years, and none of the kids have ever gotten hurt on it before. Leave it to the first boy. I shudder to think what my life will look like in a year, when I have two toddler boys running around.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Poor little guy. You are so levelheaded--I would've totally freaked out with all that blood!

When I had my homebirth, my midwives weren't legally permitted to sew up a perineal tear, so I asked them if they could glue a tear if one happened so I wouldn't have to go to the hospital. They said it was possible to glue, and you can also sometimes use seaweed, like the nori people make sushi with. Crazy! Luckily I didn't have a bad tear.

Armando Codina said...

ohh! poor guy! hows he now? is he ok now?