Contact: superninjamommy [at] gmail [dot] com

Thursday, February 5, 2009

Stash....

Sew Mama Sew has a little interview questionnaire on the blog. Go check it out, and add your link. It's so fun to see what everyone else is doing! Even though I am absolutely no good at sewing, I enjoy it, and I can't get too hard on myself because I've only been doing it for like six weeks. Seriously. And my first project were those dumb stuffed animals that just don't work out... but don't worry, because I'm working on another one. You know what they say, if at first you don't succeed...

What do you usually sew?
-So far, just lambikins. And lambikins are probably not the best beginner project. I've also made felt food but I don't consider that sewing, more crafting. Oh and I've made some little sachets and stuff.

When you shop for fabric, what size cuts do you usually buy? (i.e. If you see something beautiful, but you don’t have a use for it right away, how much do you buy?)
- Since I have absolutely no intentions of ever making anything large, like clothes or something, I buy a half yard at a time. I did buy a full yard of NASCAR fabric to make a curtain for The Hub's man-cave in the basement. I'm going to work on that on Sunday.


Do you buy on impulse or do you go out looking for something you need?
-I go out with specific intentions to buy fabric. So far I haven't had a specific idea in mind, except for terry cloth, which as it turns out, is a total PITA to sew. Won't be doing that again soon.

Are you a pre-washer? If you are, do you wash your fabric before you need it, or only when you’re ready to use it?
- I do prewash. I usually wash it when I get it, then fold it and put it away. If it smells funky, I'll wash it again. I don't want my kids snuggling with sizing-laden lambikins (no matter how ugly they are!)

Do you iron it?
-Yes, always. I don't know why. My mom told me to, so I do, and it seems like something I should be doing.

How do you sort it? (color, print size, collection, etc.)
-I don't. I just fold it and put it in the tub.

Do you have any special folding techniques?
-Nope. I do pin a little piece of paper on it with the quantity and width, because that's what my mom does.


How do you store your fabric?
-In a big rubbermaid tub.

What tips do you have for building up a well-rounded stash?
-I don't have a nice stash yet, but I think it's important to have the basics. I have something from each color family, and pieces for babies and bright primaries and different textures and stuff.

When do you say enough is enough?
-I don't know. I haven't been doing this very long at all.

What are some of your favorite stash-busting projects?
-This is another one I can't answer.


Do you have a current favorite print in your stash? Let’s see it!
-Yes!

This is going to be a giraffe. It's a red-orange polka dot cotton. I adore this fabric, it is definitely my favorite print. It was also the most expensive fabric I've ever purchased, at $14.99 a yard. I think the giraffe will have green yarn for his mane and tail, and a big orange bow around his neck.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Hi there! Just wanted to let you know that I had received a Blog Award and passed it onto you! I love reading your posts, & feel you deserve it!! check out my page to get it! :)