Contact: superninjamommy [at] gmail [dot] com

Thursday, May 7, 2009

I'm finally getting somewhere with the school.

So I talked to the school about this issue. Here is how it went.

First, I called the principal. He was not in. Then I called the superintendent, who was also not in. (Turns out, they were in a meeting with each other.) The superintendent called me back that same evening, and I told him the whole story in as few words as possible, because in real life, just like online, I tend to get unbelievably wordy.

The superintendent was not happy, to say the least. He listened carefully and then told me he would talk to Chris (the principal who hates to be called by his first name) and then we'd all figure out what was going on.

The next morning, Chris called me. He had already spoken to Mrs. F. She lied through her damn teeth! She told Chris that EJ wasn't getting books anymore because she was at such a high reading level that they had run out of books. Oh, that's just brilliant - punish a kid for being smart! (She is a ridiculously good reader. She's seven, and right now she's reading and loving The Call of the Wild. Yeah.) And even if they did run out of books for her to read - um, hello! There's more than just first grade in this school - go over to the fifth grade and borrow a book if you have to. You know?

So then apparently Chris told Mrs. F. what the superintendent told him, which was what I had told the superintendent. Surprisingly, he got it all correct, but then get this! Mrs. F. said that the book that had been drawn in was not from last week, but from January! She had gone through all the books EJ had used, because she "had a feeling." Chris was FURIOUS when she told him this, and he assured me - repeatedly - that EJ would have a book every night, even if Mrs. F. has to borrow them from the middle school.

I am glad that this was resolved, because EJ felt terrible about the whole thing. Apparently Mrs. F. took her in the hall to tell her she wouldn't be able to take a book home, and also that she wouldn't get a treat for reading because she wouldn't be able to read. EJ cried when she told me about this. I also found out that this didn't happen Monday as I thought - it happened Friday. So my poor girl was hanging onto this and worrying about it all weekend, and that makes me so mad.

I told EJ that from now on, if Mrs. F. takes her in the hall for anything, she needs to tell me when she gets home. This is the way I said it: "Mrs. F. is a very nice teacher, but even teachers make mistakes sometimes, and it's Mom's job to make sure that when teachers make mistakes, their children don't feel bad about it." (See, I think it's important for EJ to respect her teacher.)

So that issue is resolved, and more importantly, I think the school finally got the message that I will not put up with this. I'm really not trying to be argumentative or hard to please, I just want what's right and I won't settle for less. My children deserve a good education, and they deserve to be treated with respect. And if that isn't happening, I'll do what it takes to make sure it does.

7 comments:

The Nicholson Family said...

I'm glad that the principal was able to set Mrs. F straight!
That "she's at such a high reading level we don't have any books for her." is just absurd! Pure stupidity on the teachers part.

I'm so glad that everything is resolved for EJ!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you had to deal with this. It totally sounds like the teacher over-reacted in a major way. I'm glad that the principal handled the situation well, as it is their job to advocate for a teacher, but in this case the teacher was clearly in the wrong. No, books for a high level reader! What the heck? There's a library... higher grades. I'd really keep on my toes with her. She is not nurturing your child's natural abilities. So wrong. And I commend you that even though you may have lost respect for that teacher, you are allowing your daughter to keep any she may have left. She will be in her classroom everyday despite the incident. Good for you mama!

Jennifer said...

I'm glad you stuck up for your daughter and handled the situation with class. It would have been soooo easy to go the other way.

That teacher? Ridiulous.

Caz said...

Well, nice attempt to cya by the rude teacher, but no dice. Good on ya for not letting it go..and I agree, you'll have to watch that teacher like a hawk. But hopefully your little one will have no more dramas.

Momma Bear said...

geez. glad you got some resolution with this.

ally said...

Ugh. You handled this better than I would have, that's for sure! I hope things go smooth the rest of the year!

Lisa said...

At least the school year is almost over!!! Geez!!!