Contact: superninjamommy [at] gmail [dot] com

Thursday, June 4, 2009

Sewing Machine Meme

This month is sewing machine month at Sew Mama Sew, so I figured I'd jump in there and join the meme.

What brand and model do you have?
Brother CE-5000PRW

How long have you had it?
Around 3 months

How much does that machine cost (approximately)?
About $125

What types of things do you sew (i.e. quilting, clothing, handbags, home dec projects, etc.)?
Craft projects, such as stuffies, felties, etc.

How much do you sew? How much wear and tear does the machine get?
I sew regularly, probably three hours a week.

Do you like/love/hate your machine? Are you ambivalent? Passionate? Does she have a name?
So far, I adore my machine. My old machine was an ancient Pfaff with a major attitude problem.

What features does your machine have that work well for you?
I like the features but don't use all of them. For instance, I've never used the automatic needle-threader. Seems like a lot more trouble than it's worth. I don't foresee me ever using the buttonhole functions, or a lot of the decorative stitches. But I love the drop in, no-fuss bobbin. That's a huge plus.

Is there anything that drives you nuts about your machine?
If I don't have like thirty thousand feet of thread hanging out of the needle, it comes unthreaded. (Okay not that much. Maybe three inches. But enough to be really annoying.)

Do you have a great story to share about your machine (i.e., Found it under the Christmas tree?
Dropped it on the kitchen floor? Sewed your fingernail to your zipper?, Got it from your Great Grandma?, etc.!)? We want to hear it!

Nothing all that interesting, but I got my machine for my 27th birthday. Everyone in my family gave a little bit of money to "the cause," and then me and my mom went and bought it. We went to the sewing machine specialty stores, whose machines were expensive and had similar issues to my old Pfaff. Plus the salespeople were snobbish and rude - one even said if I didn't have $500 for a sewing machine, I shouldn't bother sewing! Well, we ended up at Wal-Mart, looking for fabric, and happened to see this machine. I bought it and love it!

Would you recommend the machine to others? Why?

I think it's a great beginner machine. It stitches really smooth and quiet, and has cool little functions, like automatic needle-down. I love my sewing machine.

What factors do you think are important to consider when looking for a new machine?
For me price is always a factor. I also looked at the warranty and ease of use. I think it's totally fine to buy an inexpensive machine, so long as it has a good warranty.

Do you have a dream machine?
Not really. Mine is perfect for my needs.

No comments: